Sunday, May 28, 2017

Oh The Places We'll (Hopefully) Go

As our time in Tennessee approaches, I can't help but think of all the things we'll get to see and places we'll get to visit this summer. Not only will the Vanderbilt cohort be going to Tennessee this summer, but we'll be visiting UPenn too! With so many possible places to see and what seems like so little time until we'll be there, I haven't been able to stop myself from doing some research on possible places we can visit this summer. I'm going to outline a few of these things below, starting with things to do in Nashville and ending with things in Philadelphia.

First, I'd love to visit Centennial Park. It's only about two miles from downtown Nashville and features(get this) a full scale replica of the Parthenon, yes, like the one in Athens. When I first saw a picture of this all I could think was, "How cool! I can see Greece without leaving the country!" As someone who's maybe interested in a career in architecture, this is impossible to pass up. Even if this wasn't the case, my elementary school Percy Jackson-obsessed-self wouldn't forgive me for not acting on the opportunity to visit.

Next, and this recommendation comes from a Vandy alum, I'd like to visit some sort of live music establishment. Nashville is known for its music, and I think I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least try to check out some live music during our time in Tennessee. Maybe this will mean taking a stroll down Music Row at some point, or finding another venue close to campus, but anything at all would be fun. I call myself a bit of a country music fan, but I think country music in Tennessee will be very different than California country music.
The Country Music Hall of Fame Museum 
Continuing on with the country music trend, I think it would be really fun to visit the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum. My sister and I have a shared love for country music, but, as I mentioned earlier, the country music scene just isn't as big here as in Tennessee. So, if I have the chance to visit one of the largest museums dedicated to country music, I don't think I can pass it up.

The Belmont Mansion
The last thing on my list for Tennessee, at least for now, is visiting the Belmont Mansion. I know, visiting an old house doesn't seem like it would be on the top of a teenagers list, but hear me out. The whole history of this house, whose construction was completed in 1853(old, right?), revolves around the life of a woman. Now, doesn't that make it a bit more interesting? Even more so, it was built in the style of an Italian villa and has been carefully restored. I could keep talking about the history of the mansion for a while, but I think I've made my point, it, again, is too good of an opportunity to miss.

Starting with Philadelphia, the first thing I can think of doing is getting a cheesesteak. While I know, it's not the most academic thing to do, I think it's something I can't pass up. It's a silly thing to look forward to, but would it really be a trip to Philadelphia without one? I'm not sure where I'd like to go get one, I might need to do more research on Restaurants near UPenn, but I'd be happy with any. 

Independence Hall 
Switching gears a bit, I'd love to visit Independence Hall, where both the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were adopted. I think it would be really interesting to see where such famous moments in our countries history actually took place. It, again, is just too good to pass up. Also, I'd like to visit the nearby Benjamin Franklin Museum, where you can explore his life and his many traits. After reading about these people and places in history books, I'd like to see it all up close and better understand it.  

Lastly, and going back to food, I'd like to visit Reading Terminal Market. This indoor farmers market has been in business since 1892, and continues to offer interesting foods and goods. While there are so many delicious things to eat, the experience is what interests me. I've read about the northwestern corner of the market that is devoted to Amish merchants, and I am excited to be able to watch them make soft pretzels and get to try some of their own dishes which they share with the markets visitors.
Reading Terminal Market 
There are so many interesting things to do in the cities we'll be visiting this summer, I hope we'll be able to do as many activities as possible during our short time there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment