Monday, May 29, 2017

When in Nashville


I can’t wait to go to Nashville this summer. There’s so much to do there (besides, of course, going to Vanderbilt University.) After looking through some travel sights and speaking to someone who grew up in Nashville, I’ve found a lot of fun things to see. Here are a few of them I would most like to see while there:

First, I would like to visit the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Growing up in El Cerrito, we aren’t ever really exposed to Country music, so going to the Country Music Hall of Fame would be a great chance to learn more about the music, and if there’s someone playing there, well, that just adds to the effect! Nashville is also nicknamed ‘Music City' so I couldn't pass up a chance to explore the music when there.

Second, I would like to visit the full-scale replica of the Parthenon. It would be really interesting to see such a famous landmark, even if it is a replica. I am also half Greek, so it is also of a more personal interest to me to see it. The Parthenon is an awesome sight from the pictures I’ve seen, and being able to see it (without the long flight to Greece, no less) is something I wouldn’t want to miss.
The Parthenon ~ in Nashville
Next is the area around the Parthenon, Centennial Park. I am really looking forward to being able to explore it when we’re in Nashville. There is an artificial lake, volleyball courts, a dog park, and walking trails, not to mention the Parthenon I mentioned before. Centennial Park looks like a great place to walk around in—there’s even free Wi-Fi! I would be less interested in the Wi-Fi though, and more in the sights around me.

After that, I would like to walk around Bicentennial Park (which, now that I think about it, sounds like the upgraded version of Centennial Park.) The full name is Bicentennial Capital Mall State Park, but from what I’ve read it can be shortened to Bicentennial Park. The park holds fountains, plaques, and other features symbolizing Tennessee, like 95 big pillars for 95 districts in the state. I think the park would be a great way to learn about Tennessee in the outdoors.
I don't know who that man is but I'd like to stand where he is.
Close by to Bicentennial Park is the state capital of Tennessee itself. I would like to see the state capitol building because of its importance to the entire state of Tennessee. The building also holds the tomb of President James Polk, making it an even more interesting place to stop.

The Tennessee State Museum is another place I would like to see in Nashville. It holds many artifacts from Tennessee’s history, starting with the Native American peoples. As you can imagine, there are a lot of Civil War artifacts as well. The museum is a nice place to stop to get a more detailed look at Tennessee’s history—you can only learn so much from looking at things online.

Last of all, but certainly not least, I really want to see the Lane Motor Museum. Yes, it’s another museum, but this museum sounds like one it would be awesome to visit. The exhibits are a lot of antique and unique cars from all around the world, and after looking at some of the pictures on their website, I would love to see the cars in person. I’ve always loved going to the SF Auto Show and looking at the cars there, and I think I would have a similarly good time at the Lane Motor Museum. It also only costs $3 for children up to 17 years old.  Ms. Hansen? I hope you're reading this!
An exhibit at the Lane Motor Museum
Well, that's what I have so far. From what I’ve heard, Vanderbilt allows students out on what are called “soft nights" so they can go explore off campus. I’m definitely going to take advantage of those soft nights and go and see some sights!

No comments:

Post a Comment