Monday, June 5, 2017

Vanderbilt and Nashville - a Great Combination

After my last blog post, I did some more looking around online. This time I looked at Vanderbilt and Nashville together, not just Nashville. (If you can't tell, I'm getting quite excited for the trip this summer.) What I found was that Vanderbilt is connected to the city of Nashville in a great way. Vanderbilt's campus only lies about a mile away from Nashville's downtown area, but as I was talking to Eppa Rixey, at the fundraising dinner, he made it sound like Vanderbilt also had a bit of its own college town around it as well. This combination makes it seem like Vanderbilt is in a great location, but doesn't totally feel like it's hemmed in by the rest of the city. I can't wait to be there!

Beautiful!
Another part about Vanderbilt that I think is really cool is how the entire campus is a national arboretum. I found the link on Vanderbilt's website about this is "vanderbilt.edu/trees/" - which is really funny to me. After looking around on vanderbilt.edu/trees, I found lots of cool facts and lots of cool trees. There are about 190 species of trees on the campus! And the campus has been referred to as an arboretum since before 1900. Basically Vanderbilt’s campus is almost like a park, and I can't wait to go there to see it all. The pictures I've been looking at show beautiful brick buildings surrounded by tons of trees and other plant life. One problem with all these trees, however, is the number of squirrels they attract. It's said that the squirrels outnumber the students, which would mean over 13,000 squirrels live on campus! That's a lot of squirrels!

Vanderbilt's life flight helicopter
The next thing I found was that Vanderbilt is the only Level 1 trauma center in the middle of Tennessee, and has the only cancer center that conducts research for children and adults. This means, according to the American Trauma Society, "A Level I Trauma Center is capable of providing total care for every aspect of injury – from prevention through rehabilitation." Vanderbilt offers healthcare and comprehensive care too. I thought this was a really cool part of the school, because the college is really caring for the city it takes residence in. 

All said, I'm sure there are a ton of other great things about Vanderbilt and Nashville together, but that's all I have for now. I can't wait to explore Vanderbilt, Nashville, and the relationship between the two when I'm actually there!



No comments:

Post a Comment