Sunday, July 23, 2017

Another Weekend at Vandy


Friday was, again, like any other day here, really fun.
One of our cars while we were working on it

Class was primarily spent working on our cars, though we did take some time to reflect on all of our wheelchair related experiences so far. It was interesting to hear how everyone felt about being in the chairs for a day, touring the company, and getting introduced to the sports.

My last day of horror makeup
Then we went to work on our cars. I finished up wiring our acceleration button with the help of my partner, Leah. Throughout the day we accomplished a lot concerning our cars, both of which now have extended seats (thanks to pvc pipe) and each having fully functional circuitry which is now usable for Camilo and Titus. It’s exciting to see the cars come together, but we still have a lot to do and not even a week to complete it.

The next big event of the day was the (not) Dance put on by A-house. Here there was a talent show, board games, a bit of dancing, and more. I chose to watch the talent show all night, and really enjoyed seeing everyones acts. Some acts were a bit unconventional, like “Stand Up Compliments,” but all were equally entertaining and fun to watch.

Saturday was pretty relaxed overall.

My cupcake
The first part of my class was spent working with a CAD software. We spent most of the time playing around and familiarizing ourselves with it. I ended up making some 3-D wording with other words cut out in it, which my TA described as modern art (thanks Kelsey).

The next part of class was pretty carefree, we decided to watch a movie in hopes of escaping the heat (it was about 100° outside). After a few movie pitches from my classmates, we decided to watch Mean Girls, a classic.

Next we had soft time. I, along with some other girls on my floor, ordered wraps and cupcakes for dinner. They were really good, my cookie dough cupcake especially.

Lastly we had our Saturday night activities, we had four options to choose from, I chose to go bowling. This was really fun, it was nice playing a silly game with my new friends, also it was nice winning both games (go me!).

Chaney and Elizabeth after bowling
Sunday was, also, very fun.

I started my morning with brunch with the rest of the cohort and Jennifer at the Pancake Pantry. The meal was amazing, I had raspberry pancakes accompanied by whipped cream. It was a great change of pace for breakfast, not that I don't love my daily Lucky Charms.  

Jennifer was able to sign us our for the whole morning, so after eating we walked around for a bit and ran a few errands. 

The next part of our day was spent at the mall, where we all explored and did some shopping. 

We finished up our Sunday with a panel style presentation, mine was focused on career paths less traveled. It was interesting to hear everyone’s experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment