Thursday, July 27, 2017

Saying Goodbye to VSA

Wednesday was the last SOFT night and a very busy day all throughout. We started with a puzzler that was almost the same as one we had worked on before, except this one involved 17 people (the number of students in the class). It was the prisoner and hats scenario, each prisoner gets a black or white hat and if they can guess it they can go free. The person in the very back can see everyone’s hat, so we figured out a way to help them save everyone. Solving this puzzle was lots of fun for me because it showed me how much I have learned about problem-solving. 
Our last study hall was spent at Ben and Jerry's, here's a candid

After testing out the puzzle, we went over teaching evaluations. In short, I could’ve done a lot better as a teacher but Dawson doesn’t expect us to be perfect.

In the afternoon we had our poker tournament. This was my first time playing poker so I learned a lot from the experience itself, but I also made it to the top 7—out of 19 people—so that felt pretty sweet. We worked on a lot of probability based on poker hands last week, and it was great to see that in action.

For SOFT night, my friends and I decided to try out Cabana. It ended up being very convenient since they had a “Girls Night Out” $6 appetizer special. We got 5 appetizers to share and I was very satisfied by the end of dinner time. But, the night didn’t end there. We stopped by Dunkin’ Donuts and that resulted in being the highlight of SOFT time. We got copious amounts of donuts and oversized coffees for very reasonable prices. We then got to share all the food with our proctor group!

Today started out pretty sad, knowing that it would be the last full day at VSA. We treated it like a normal day but it was a lot to deal with. Time feels like it went by so fast, and I genuinely wish I could spend more time with all these amazing people.

We did a pretty fun puzzler in the morning that turned out to essentially be a form of tic-tac-toe. We followed that up with the 2001 film A Beautiful Mind, about the mathematician John Nash. It was a rather sad movie but very inspirational as well. After lunch, we completed a very impressive math problem that I can’t explain in its entirety due to word limitations.

Ming and Jon! My groupmates almost every day
With the time we had left, we completed some housekeeping things and took photos and signed term books. Then, we went to the closing ceremony. It really didn’t feel as though we were getting ready to leave though. More like we were just beginning.


Amanda, Katelyn, Juliana, Kiara, and me pre-dance
After everything came the final dance and some more tearful goodbyes. The dance didn’t really compare to the first one for some reason but I’m glad I got to spend more time around all of these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment