Sunday, July 23, 2017

Vandy Provides Insight

The decor for the lobby for the Party
It’s always very difficult to write about the weekend since so much happens from Friday through today. It was an exciting weekend but also a bittersweet one knowing that it’s the last one here at Vanderbilt.

I finally got to do my teaching presentation on Friday, which went really well in my opinion. I don’t receive teacher comments until Wednesday, but I feel that I managed the missions well enough and still got the lesson on inscribed angles across to my classmates. Later in the afternoon, we got to put all of our encrypting and decrypting skills to use along with speed Sudoku solving. We got to go all over campus, including the Blair School of Music. It was really hot and difficult to get around so we didn’t get a record time. We still felt very accomplished though.

In the afternoon, we had to the Not-Dance/Party event. I won’t go into too much detail about it but it was an interesting time seeing everyone display their talents.

Saturday morning class was very laid back as we only had two teaching presentations and two more mathematician presentations. The teaching presentations were extra fun for me because I had the chance of having a mission for one of them. I genuinely think to have an academic mission for these presentations actually allows us to learn a little more because we have to make mistakes on purpose
.
Street view of Legato
For the TA activity, we walked to Legato Gelato in Edgehill. In case people hadn’t noticed, there are a lot of sweet ice treats around here to choose from. We also got some time to explore the cute little shops nearby and the Edgehill Café across the street.

We also had SOFT night but the highlight of Saturday night was definitely roller skating. They played a variety of songs that made wish I was good enough at roller skating to simultaneously dance. I’m pretty sure I skated the whole 2 hours too, so I definitely had a fun time.

Today was a really good day for a variety of reasons. For starters, Ms. Hansen checked us out and we went to Pancake Pantry for breakfast. The Banana Bread Pancakes were hands down some of the best pancakes I’ve ever had. I devoured everything on my plate, even though I felt pretty guilty afterward.

We got back to VSA but soon enough we were on our way to the Opry Mills Mall where my friends and I wandered around stores. I didn’t buy too much but it was enjoyable spending my time trying on cute outfits with my friends.

To end the night, we attended panels where we learned a little more about options for our future. What I got out of the most from Rosie, Dr. LaPointe, Mr. Kyle, and my TA Matthew is that it’s just as important to figure out what I don’t like as figuring out what I do like. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed during the panel, but I definitely felt relieved afterward. 
My delicious breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment