Thursday, July 20, 2017

VS(Y)A(YY)

Wednesday was packed full of activities, even more so than usual (if that’s possible).

Most of our class time was spend modifying our cars, this proved to be very challenging at first. Our first step, before cutting any wires, was to trace out the circuits and understand exactly what each wire was doing. It reminded me of an intense game of connect the dots, only where there aren't any numbers and you're just told to make a shape in the best way you can. Eventually we all got a handle on the mechanics of the cars, and we went to work moving buttons, adjusting motor speeds, and doing much more. If there’s one thing that I’m getting out of this project, it’s that mistakes happen (a lot) and you've just got to go with it and make it work. 
Michelle testing out the motion sensors

When we weren't working on cars we had the opportunity to tour the Karl Zelik Lab. There they do research on prosthetics and exoskeletons, we had the opportunity to see many of their prototypes which I thought was really cool. Also, we were shown how they use motion capturing cameras to better understand the body, along with many other technologies that could be used to collect data. My favorite part was the demonstration of an ultrasound, we were able to see how tendons and muscles move under the skin when various stretches are done. 

After class we had an admissions activity where we met admissions counselors and talked about how the college application process works, asking many questions. I really liked this, while I learned a lot about Vanderbilt, I also learned about the basics concerning applying to any college. 

The day was really fun and thought provoking, but I was ready for bed.

Today, we spent the first half of class working on modifying our cars. We were able to rewire the gas pedals, moving them to buttons that will eventually be placed on the steering wheels. Figuring out exactly what to do was a bit nerve-wracking at first, but we worked together and got it done eventually. 

After this we were given a brief presentation on wheelchair sports by our teachers husband, who is a paraplegic. He showed us the various types of chairs that exist, each sport has a specific design tailored to the needs for the sports. For instance, we were shown a chair that is used for hockey, one used for wake boarding, and even a bicycle style board. I was really impressed by just how many sports are available to wheel chair users. 
My class trying out various wheel chairs
After this presentation we had the chance to try out some of the chairs. I wasn't feeling very well, so I decided to watch while others tried the chairs.

After this long day we had a SOFT night. I chose to stay back and get some rest, trying to get over my cold, but a friend brought me ice cream. It was a nice way to end the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment