Sunday, July 16, 2017

Flamin-going Around Vanderbilt

My weekend has been very eventful from beginning to end, although Friday did start off pretty frustrating for me.

The reason Friday was frustrating during class was that we played a math-themed game of jeopardy. It was a review of things we had been doing throughout the week, but the desire to answer first combined with small mistakes made it difficult to play. My team ended up in second place but still with a score of -50, not too good. The worst part was that if we answered incorrectly we lost points.

One of the wacky new flavors at Jeni's
SOFT time was sweet not only in the sense it was a good time but I got to try Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream. It's a sort of gourmet ice cream place, and I got the mango buttermilk frozen yogurt. It was delicious but with the warm weather, it melted pretty quickly on our walk back to campus.

Saturday started out way differently than other days since breakfast is a little later, as well as class. Not only that but it was raining. I was really excited for it to rain, hoping it would clear away some of the humidity once it was done raining. I was also very happy to be able to wear a jacket as I hadn't had the opportunity to do so.

I thought the class was going to be just like other days, but I was very wrong. We were in a smaller room than usual, and the projector was ready to go. We watched a movie called Stand and Deliver, which is about a calculus teacher from East Los Angeles in the 80's. It made me really emotional because the students in the movie were predominantly Chicanos/Latinos. It portrayed how low the standards are often set for young Latinos, especially when it comes to STEM. Sometimes, it's not so much about the students' inability to learn a challenging subject but the absence of someone willing to try to teach them.
Also went to the Grilled Cheeserie
on Saturday

After class and lunch, Darren (a classmate) and I joined Adaptive Engineering in hopes of hearing a lecture about aerodynamics. We did learn a bit about aerodynamics as we made paper airplanes and tested them for flight time and distance but it wasn't quite a lecture. It was still a good time though and better than watching Moana with the others, no offense.

Way later most of VSA boarded on several buses to the Regal Cinemas to watch Spiderman Homecoming. Unfortunately, it was an underwhelming movie and it made me wish I would've gone dancing at Centennial Park. Turns out, Centennial was cut short due to the fact most students didn't know how to Swing dance.

Today was far more relaxed and less uneventful than the other days. Breakfast was on the second floor and it wasn't mandatory.

My day after lunch was primarily focused on going to the zoo, which was a lot of fun even in the heat. I got to walk around, which I love, and pet some baby kangaroos!
Kiara, Katelyn, Juliana, and me with a kangaroo

2 comments:

  1. Looks like even the roo was trying to beat the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stand and Deliver was always the go-to movie for every math teacher I ever had, jr. high through high school, when they wanted to show a movie in class.

    ReplyDelete